Thursday, May 22, 2008

Food glorious food!

FOOD!

This is a shorter entry on food! I am learning to eat with my hands - properly mind you. There is quite the technique to it. Also, not using my left hand (which is only used to wipe your a$$) is also something I am trying to do! The food here is predominately carbs. From maize, millet and cassava, to yams, rice and pasta, almost every meal, if not every single one has a carbs components. Fou-fou, banku, and T-Z are some of the staple things that are served. These are pounded down to doughy balls, some more fermented than others. They are served with a number of different types of soup, most of which in my case are meat free. I have been eating fish, since my family always cooks with it, but no-meat which is fine by me. A little note about why I am not eating meat. The first dish I had in Tamale has hair and fat and bones in it. Locally, this is fine, it is how it is done in many places. Why waste any of the animal. True, except when you are used to skinless, boneless meat, from a nice little package, this comes as a huge shock to one's system. So for now, no meat for me. In the picture below, you can see some traditional food. I would like to point out in the picture in the far bowl, there is chicken. If you loook close enough, you can see that the feet are still there. Funny enough, later that afternoon, I visited another village and was given a chicken. Alive, and squwacking. I gave it to my boss! I am slowly trying new things, and have found that no-matter where you go, there is always some form of peanut butter! Thank goodness. It may not be Kraft, but I would imagine that ground nut paste is much better in the long run.

Time to go to sleep. Until next time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the chicken !!!
I am sure you will be eating on of his relatives by the end of your placement !!!
Love Mom

Unknown said...

So proud of you babe, your doing such a great job! Miss you like crazy,
Love Stephen