Thursday, June 26, 2008

A lesson in coming clean







Climbing the steep learning curve of hand-washing my clothes!
Since the first week I arrived in Tuna, I have tried to take washing my clothes on all by myself. The result has been highly entertaining for my house family and co-worker Anastasia. I was a disaster. My clothes seemed dirtier after then when I started. It was not long before expert hands took over and the result was that my clothes had never been cleaner. Washing clothes is hard work! It takes at least 3 cycles of wash-wash-rinse (or more if your clothes are really dirty) and it is all done standing over large basins of water (which by the way is best to do after it rains because water is plenty!) Being the beginner I am, I started by sitting on a stool and only being allowed to do the wringing out and hanging of my clothes. I have since graduated to being able to do the second wash cycle and the rinse cycle. It has only taken 6 weeks! I am also standing and bending, as you can see in the photos. Maybe by the time I am ready to leave, I will be able to do the whole process! I really enjoy the time I spend with my family and my coworker Anastasia when we wash my clothes. We always have a good laugh and they love how red and prune like my hands get after we are done. This method gets my clothe cleaner than ever before. If I have a clothesline when I return to Newfoundland in the fall, I will definitely be practicing it before it gets too cold out! My stain removing abilities are going to be 10 times better. Red wine spills, watch out! Until Next Time!

P.S. for those who know my clothing buying love, please take a look at the clothesline and see half of my wardrobe for 4 months. It is a pretty different experience for me, but I am not minding it at all!

1 comment:

Eleanor Power said...

Guess you won't need a washing machine !!