Thursday, June 26, 2008

My first hands-on farming experience

The vegetable seeds we were planting
me wielding my cutlass at the farm
The pepe plant - makes food verrry spicey


Walking to the farm!

Rice crops

Maize crops
Groundnuts
A property marker!


Farming is the primary livelihood for the vast majority of the population in Ghana. Here in Tuna and in the surrounding communities, crops range from rice, maize, millet, beans, cassava, yams, groundnuts (peanuts to us!), sorghum, hot peppers, okra, and a variety of leafy greens that fall under the umbrella term of vegetables. I went farming with my coworker Anastasia this week. What hard work! We walked over 3 km (which really isn’t that far compared to some) to get to where she plants her crops. We spent the first while sowing seeds for vegetables, using hoes and cutlasses. She told me I caught on to the technique quickly, which was encouraging! We planted a number of rows, and I saw a variety of bugs that were new to me, some scary, some really crazy looking. My camera was not around for these sadly. It is hard to wield a cutlass, seeds and a camera. We then collected Shea Nuts and firewood, which we brought back on our heads. What a sight I was for the school children we passed. I guess a white lady carrying something on her head is very exciting around here. It was tough for my concentration having about 100 kids yelling at me! I made it back ok though! It was a long day, ending with a sweaty, dirty, thirsty me! But I had a really cool hands-n experience on how hard farmers work. And to make things even better, I have been recruited to help with the harvest of the beans in a few weeks time. I have skills I tell you! Until Next Time!

No comments: