Friday, June 20, 2008

My Placement










TUWODEP
The Tuna Women Development Network, my placement is a small grassroots NGO with 2 staff, a board of directors and a small number of volunteers, They work with a network of 14 Women Groups around Tuna, totaling over 230 members. The groups we work with, while having various crops such as groundnuts and maize, also partake in Income Generating Activities (IGAs). These include Shea Nut collection and processing and piggery projects. The women are able to make extra money for their families through these activities, so they can do things such as send their children to school. The women are also involved in advocacy work, working with committees in their villages, and learning to lobby the local government members for their needs.
My work this summer at TUWODEP is to study the groups and see what makes them successful. I will also look at the Shea Nut value chain, form the women who pick it, to the companies that use it across Europe and North and South America. Finally I will be observing storage units, and comparing what materials are more effective. I am also hoping to help the staff at TUWODEP to create short and long term goals, to make a future plan for the work they want to do. THey are also interested in creating a stronger connection and feedback system between the beneficiaries and donors they work with so I am hoping to also aid them in this. I am really excited about my work!
I have gotten to take a number of trips to the field so far, which have been a lot of fun! Although my Dagaare is still a big work in progress, and the women cannot speak English, they are extremely welcoming, kind and open to answering questions. They are also excited to ask me question about my family, country and the work I am going to be doing with them.
In the photos below, you can see part of the Shea Nut gathering and processing. Gathering Shea nuts involves going to the bush very early in the morning, between 4 and 5 a.m. and gathering nuts from the ground and shaking the trees to send more to the ground. It is very hard, long work, and I am quite a rookie!
I am really lucky to be working with such strong women. I am sure I am going to learn many lessons from them!
Until next time!

No comments: