Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Atale of two sicknesses

Hello out there!

I apologize for the lack of blog entries lately. I have been minimizing my internet time. I do have some juicy blogs handwritten, aching to be typed but they will have to wait for now. Since I last wrote of my foodpoisoning in Damongo, I have been striken with a much more long lived and serious illness. I have just been discharged from the Wa Regional Hospital where I spent the last three nights with Malaria and gatroentronitis *which stands for irritated intestines I amtold* I amdoing much better now, but having Malaria, which started last weekend, getting treatment, and relapsing this weekend has been a tough battle. I have had very good care and support from myhost family,co-workers and coach here. Also frommy support systems at home.It hasbeen an eye-openi9ng experience to spend some time in a hospital here, although I felt like a white princess, in my VIP room, that was sealed from mosquitoes *almost...* and tv and airconditioning.I was constantly feeling this gut wrenching guilt of the fact that my insurance could buy me this comfort, while there was so much suffering around me and torn about thinking about between the fact that if I was at home, I would not feel scared about the level of health care and cleanliness of the facilities and equipment. I had great nurses and an entertaining CUban doctor. The hospital wasclean and all the equipment was sterile.I survived and although weak and tired and stocked up on a variety of drugs to wipe my system of malaria and any other ameobas andparasites that might be hanging around, I am on my wayhome to Tuna. I have learnedabout confronting raw fear and helplessness and feeling at my lowest, physically and mentally. Still, Dorothy is living this all the time. She will travel for miles on foot, and public transport and wait in incredibly long lines and then in even more lines to recieve treatment. Itmakesme wantto work in health care more than ever...maybe I am starting to figure out this big "what will I do when I graduat" question. But for now, I am going to search for a bread and egg sandwich and thank God for my health. It is something that I and many of us take for granted too often until it is threatened. SoI will leave you with these thoughts. Until next time....

As a side note, EWB has been incredibly supportive of me during this, working hard to make sure I have the support and safety I need. Special thanks to Josephine mycoach and yogi ofsorts through this summer and Cat, the go-to and can cry my eyes out and ask question after question and she will still have eternal wisedom of what I can do or how I can figure things out for myself - wonder.

5 comments:

MEV said...

Hi Steph,
I was just speaking with your mother. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. Keep it up!!
I just wrote you a longer comment, but since I had no identity I lost it!!!
I will keep reading your Blogs. The ones I have read so far are very interesting. This will be a summer that you certainly will never forget.
Take care,
MEV

fosterdog said...

Glad you are on the mend! My Aunt Pat has fought a constant battle with malaria during her time in Nigeria and it was what eventually brought her home to Canada for good. Keep us posted on your blog. Lots of love from the three of us to you.
gAp

Anonymous said...

Boy you had us worried Steph so it's great that you're back in the pink and hard at work. You've got great mettle and desire and persereverance!

You showed great judgement in going to the hospital when you did and it sounds like you recd good treatment. I've heard the Cuban doctors are very well trained...a big ty to their medical schools.

Hear the shea nut harvest is going well;;weather in the low 20s must be quite to your liking after the searing heat of May.

Looking forward to your next posting and news about Bertha's new family!!!!

All our love,

Mom, Dad Kevin and Andrew

Sam van Berkel said...

wow steph, sorry to hear about this. i've certainly faced the malaria a few times, but nothing like that. good to know you're ok. see yeah in a few weeks.

Amul Raj said...

The general public does not read court decisions, and that is a shame, because some of these decisions can be best-sellers. If you consider that some of the most successful authors of the last 20 years are legal fiction writers, it's a shame that some of the court rulings never become widely publicized considering the drama and human depravity that often surfaces through even a single lawsuit over civil rights or some other injustice.
----------------
Brukewilliams
Sneeze Marketing