Saturday, July 26, 2008


My mom wanted to see how I spent a typical day here in Ghana, so so I decided to show you part of my week with a photo blog! I hope that you enjoy it!
This is a wild turkey, and they are fierce animals. Pretty entertaining to watch though.

Pounding shea before it goes to be fried and then pounded again.

Babies come to our meetings too. Sometimes children look at me and smile, other times they cry. It is pretty funny, especially when they start running away, but I just smile and try to put on my friendliest face. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't!

TUWODEP t-shirts that they gave to the women a few years ago.

At one of the activity meetings in Gando, one of the villages I am working with.

Pepe - looks really nice, but is not so good on the digestive system is large quantities.

Pito, the local beer

This is how we cook our food at my house!

this feathered friend is my wake-up call. At any time from about 4:00 am until 8:00 pm

I was trying to see the pigs, but they did not like me coming into their pen.

With my fowl Bertha, and the motobike I ride to the village and my friend Elizabeth.

Meeting with the District Director of MoFA

A map of where the villages I work in

A Ghanaian traffic jam!

practicing my Dagaare with the activity

Checking out the results of a time analysis on shea nuts

Doing an activity with one of my women groups

shea nuts (right) and shea butter (left)

the Tuna Market - every Monday rain or shine...although a lot less people when it rains!

these are some of the women I work with selling their goods at the market!

fish for sale!!
Checking tomatoes...we got a deal!

My little friend at the market

Good Shepard Church, where I go to mass and sing in the choir.

Helping with shea nut cracking

Our house dog. She loves me! She always wants me to pet her! Not usual for most dogs here.

My house sisters dancing to Celine Dion on the radio!

Fresh maize! Tasty!

This is how water is carried to homes. So impressive.

After church, hanging out with my house sisters

Helping prepare supper

My house mother preparing supper

These are some of my friends from the church choir I have joined!

My house sister- she is beautiful! This is when we celebrated Canada Day!

This is a girl from one of the villages. The scars of from trying to take away pain.

This is how I bathe. Bucket baths are awesome!

This barrel is where the bathing water comes from. The stalls in the background is where we shower.

This is my house sister, Rena bringing water to the compound. I try, but it spills EVERYWHERE!


2 comments:

Eleanor Power said...

Thanks Steph
I love your photos.
Love Mom

Unknown said...

You are amazing and so brave. The blogs are so fun, so inspiring and so challenging. I love reading them. Miss you and can't wait for you to come home and share your love and stories from Ghana.

Leah